Today is one of the 3 happiest days of my life, so far. The day I was married, the day I had Jacob and today, the day Jake pooped on the potty all by himself. I am reeling from the happiness!
I have been trying since he turned 3 (8 months) to get him to go on the potty and he always said,"no, I am not ready". I have purchased 100's of diapers in frustration and promised treasures untold for Jake, if he would just go on the stinkin' potty, with no success. I did all of this for months praying for of the beautiful day of potty to come. Well, friends, that day is finally here.
I decided yesterday to just do a day without diapers (at Jake's request) and he was willing to do #1 all day long with no problem. It seemed that #2 was just out of the question. I went to bed happy that he did have a 1/2 success but hoping that Jake would try his luck with #2 today. I knew he had to go, but he is a kid with a strong will.
Well, today I got him all set up to watch Curious George (in the buff) and gave him cereal & Juice and voila, we had magic. One minute he was singing along to the theme song, and the next I heard, "uh oh, its time to hit the potty" and ran upstairs on his own . I waited downstairs thinking it was a false alarm again, but to my surprise, it was the real deal. He showed me the evidence and boy, I have never been happier to see poo! Cries of happiness and chants of "You did it, you did it" and "I did it, I did it" rang out in happy voices.
I was finally able to give Jake his reward: his "poo toy" (as we call it). You can see it in the picture below. We bought it back in Seattle. He has wanted to play with it from day one, but I held out and stayed strong. I refused to give it to him until he had his first successful "poo on the pot". Ahh, success is sweet. Well, maybe stinky in this case, but at least I don't have to clean it up! So I will call it a huge success none the less. Now we just have to have him naked all the time. Well, maybe not, but I am just glad that he gets the point now. I think clothes will be an option again in a few days. I guess we will be on house arrest until Grandma & Grandpa Shumway come to visit tomorrow. I want to see if I can get one more success from him before we clothe him again.
2 comments:
Yea! I have been wondering about how the potty training has been going. I am so excited for the new success! Good Job Jake! We miss you!
That is great news...funny thing is Joey and I were just talking about our funny Rick Shumway stories today...we miss laughing with you guys! (you know what I'm talking about)
Post a Comment