Friday, August 8, 2008

Getting in Gear!

I had a really great moment that I have been waiting for today. I woke up and I actually was excited about working out. I am now 29 and I swear that I have had the alarm set for 7am since middle school. Why??? To go work out. Problem is that I can count the number of times that I actually got up on 1 hands and even worse, I can count the number of times that I worked out (in a way that would actually do something) on 2 hands. That is not much for a oh, say 15 year span!!
Well, I am not sure if it is the fact that I am finally not working and have time, the fact that I have so many cute clothes that I want to wear again, or if the fact that I turn 30 this year is only 5 months away. Well, actually, when I type it out like that I think it is safe to say that the extra time + being 30 this year is what is kicking my workout mode into high gear. I don't want to be younger, I just don't want to go another day saying that I will do it tomorrow. That new resolution has finally kicked in and now I am on fire. I am actually working out daily and feeling great about it. I dare say that I love it!
I went to the pool today and started out with my routine that I have done for the last week and still wanted more when it was over. I ended up adding on another 24 laps to really work on my form & speed. When it was over people asked me if I swam competitively. I said no and they said that I had good form & looked like a really good swimmer. I was quite excited and feeling good for a while, until it occurred to me, as I hit the shower, that most of them were over 80. I was actually swimming (most of them could not swim, just wade with their water weights) and that probably looked SUPER awesome to them. Never mind that though, I wont let that get me down. I am stoked!
I went and got a book of lap routines that are super effective. I should be able to do a mile in 20-30 minutes before Christmas. That is 62 laps at about 3 laps per minute in a 25 meter pool. I am varying the routine to get endurance, speed and form, but mostly, it is good to feel all of my muscles again. Tomorrow I get to do weights which is super effective, but I prefer swimming. I guess I will just wait for the excitement for the weights to kick in too. I sure hope it does.
Tonight is the start of the Olympics and I am so excited to see them. After working on swimming for so long, I am ready to see the swim parts. Michael Phelps (love him or hate him) is an amazing swimmer.

I am such a want-to-be, but I do love to watch him swim. I hope he takes the Olympics by storm again! I am excited to see the rest of it too. Summer Games are by far my favorite of the Olympic seasons. I love winter stuff, but I really could see myself loving to do all of the summer activities.
Anyway, I hope you all watch this Olympic Season. Let me know which of the games are your favorites and if you swim, we should race one day. Just kidding! Unless you really want to and then you are on baby (after another 4 months of training of course). Hey, maybe Rick would race me??......Nope! He said forget it. Well, at least I know I could kill any of the 80 year old folks at my pool that think I am in training! HA! I guess I will just have to take that for now.

1 comment:

Melissa L. said...

I agree: the summer Olympics are fabulous! I'll be watching the swim competitions whenever I get a chance. :) You would definitely kick my butt in a race any day; I have to stop for breath after ONE lap back & forth!!!