I just love Primary! I have been serving as 2nd councilor of the Pittsburgh 2nd ward Primary for about 1 month and I just love it. I get to be in class to watch Jake learn and almost as much fun, I get to watch all of the children of the ward grow and learn. My duties range from keeping time on meetings, aiding the president in her needs, conducting meetings, making cookies and ,I don't know, pretty much anything needed. I also get to teach sharing time every 3rd Sunday or so and I think that is my favorite thing to do. I have done a few now and each time I have just loved sharing my simple testimony with about 15 little tykes that really want to learn. I have been surprised by the nerves I feel as I prepare the lessons and right before I teach and hate those, but I am blown away by the spirit I feel as I tell them special truths.
Today my lesson was on being reverent and thinking of baptismal covenants during Sacrament. I prepared a lesson that was pretty sound in doctrine but cut out each principle and put it on bright colored paper and made little reverence books (you see them in the Friend this month) for each child to do at home. As I taught I spoke of what the Sacrament is, why we have it, and what we should do during it. We learned thought songs, colored cut-outs, wiggle activities, and pure testimony. I really got a bit choked up as I told them of my testimony of its importance. I had so much fun with them and was shocked by their intelligence. Those are some really smart kids! They knew the answers to everything and really listened! I loved it. I think my favorite part of the lesson was when the little sunbeams in the front row came up to me after my lesson with their arms stretched wide and said, "we want to hug you." I hugged 3 of them and they said thank you for your lesson. AWWWW! How cute, huh! I seriously almost cried. They were so sincere and they just wanted to love me for teaching them. I love kids. Jakie hugged me too and then promptly licked my face and laughed so I was brought back to reality, but it was sweet anyway.
Well, I sure hope I get to do this calling for a while because I think experiences like that are what it is all about. Isn't Primary great? I am so glad that Jake loves it. I think it is so good for him and I just love the chance to help him grow closer to the Lord each week.
Six Month Bean
9 years ago
1 comment:
And now you see why I have lived the best parts of my church-life in the Primary. I really don't understand people who say they don't like to be there because they need to feel the spirit, not wrestle kids. I am not naive enough to say that I never wrestle...but every week there is a pearl of spirituality that can't be had anywhere else!
Post a Comment