Saturday, June 13, 2009

Welcome To The Family Little Ricky!

He is here!! He is finally here. Well, after a long 9 months and years before that of waiting and wanting this little guy to arrive, Richard Jennings Shumway (that will be known as Little Ricky) finally outgrew his mommy. He was delivered 6/7/09 at 10:49am and weighed in at a whopping 10lbs 9oz. See, I was huge!!!!



I was praying on Saturday that Ricky would come within hours of Rick and Jakie getting back from Utah, as I was huge, miserable and in quite a lot of pain. I guessed it was the full moon that did it, but in retrospect it may have been my walking through Sam's and WalMart for hours shopping and trying to get labor started that did it.
My water broke at 3am and we got everyone up, took Jakie to a friends house and headed strait to the hospital. My doctor wanted me there immediately because he knew that this was a big baby and wanted to have the option of a c-section (I suspect). I got to the hospital at about 3:45am and that was almost exactly when the real contractions hit. I was dying as they got me admitted and by the time I was in my delivery room I was miserable. I thought I would be able to handle them better considering I did it for 11 hours with Jakie before an epidural, but nope. I was in full labor and though it took another 6 hours to deliver, the labor moved pretty quick. I got the epidural just in time and thank the lord for medicine. I bow to the ladies that do kids natural. I wish I had the strength but I didn't think that anyone blamed me since the little guy turned out to be not so little.
My doctor took me through the delivery with trepidation fearing that Ricky may not be deliverable without a c-section, but my body did it. I am amazed that I was able to do it now that I know that he was as large as they thought. I figured maybe 9lbs, 5oz. or so. Wrong!! There were some funny/scary moments when the doctor had the head delivered and the shoulders got stuck. He screamed at me to push and then with hysteria screamed for the nurse to get on me and push with me, and said push damn it!!! Yep, he said damn it. I had amazing doctors and I am so glad that we are with his practice. We were famous on the labor unit because we had the largest baby in months and the nurses said that they could pick Ricky out of a crowd because he was by far the larges there.
We got home on the 9th and I have just been recovering. There is a huge difference between delivering a 9lb baby and a 10.9oz baby! I am on the mend though and am actually more comfortable right post delivery than I have been since about month 6. I feel better and aside from minor aches and pains, the joy of having Jakie and Ricky in my arms is overwhelming! I am so grateful for the lord giving us another beautiful, funny, loving and healthy little boy.
I was afraid that after Jacob no one could compare but little Ricky is so much like his big brother in every wonderful way. He eats like a champ, he is calm and sweet, he loves to snuggle, and he seems content to let his big brother kiss and hug him all day. We will see what energy he has as he grows. Jacob got his energy going right at about 6 months and truthfully, I sure hope Ricky is a bundle of energy too. We will take him however he comes though.
Well, Jacob seems happy despite a few moments of concern for the attention shifting, but as we have gotten home and things are a little more normal, and mommy and daddy still hug and kiss him, he seems content and happy that Ricky is part of the family for good.
We feel so blessed and wish we were around to show him off so I will post tons of pictures to the blog often so that no one misses any of the growth of either of the boys. Thanks for the messages and calls, etc. from everyone that has heard already. We sent out picture texts to everyone in our roster on our phones so we hope they got through. If they did not, we will call soon and love you all!

3 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

I'm so HAPPY for you! It's the most wonderful thing in the world! And you're a champ yourself...HOLY COW big baby! You missed the newborn stage...I'll bet he's already fitting into 3 month clothes. More and more pictures please!!

Shana Lynn said...

Congrats!!! Hats off to you!!! You are a Champ!!! I wish that I could kiss those little chops, but you'll just have to do it for me!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!!

Jon, Liz, Max and Luke said...

Hey, i am so happy for you guys! I loved reading the details of how it all went, since i am not there to hear it all in person! He is adorable. Max was big too...i am partial to chubby babies! Good luck and get a lot of sleep...let the house be a wreck...that is my motto when it comes to life with a new born!