Sunday, September 13, 2009

Update

Well, things are moving along. Fall is in the air and though the leaves are not yet changed, there is a sense of change that is tangible. Things with our family are wonderful and I am looking forward to a Holiday season that is not far off. I only wish that we had more family and friends to enjoy that with. Right about now is when I miss Mom Shumway's spiced candle that reminds me of when Rick and I were dating. It is one of the favorite things of fall for me. My moms turkey dinner and oyster stuffing is the other favorite of fall. The leaves here will be my favorite Fall Pittsburgh thing. Okay, what are we up to?
Rick is still hard at work as the Director of the GI labs at UPMC, working on callings and enjoying his family every spare moment. The start of the Football season is like a breath of life for Rick so I am supporting that. I enjoy sports (mostly in person as I love the outing side of things), so it is not hard to support, but Rick is slightly fanatic about football so I have to temper that at times (Much like he has to do for my decorating,photography, books, etc.) He is generally well after a terribly difficult year though missing dad as we all are. Ricky's arrival has helped to bring joy to an otherwise difficult situation and I know that has meant a lot to Rick.

I am doing great as well. I am still so in love with being home with the kids. I am so grateful that they can be my "job" as they are my favorite thing to do all day! I love taking Jakie to play, love seeing him succeed at things that he just learned, love making lunch and sitting down to it with him. I love playing with Ricky and cooing at him while he nurses and love it even more when he sleeps in my arms. It has been great to be here, to finally do laundry, to make cookies for the kids after lunch, to vacuum and dust and not have it all be on Saturdays along with everything else. I spend my free time (not much) shooting pictures of the kids and anything else that is interesting, reading and hopefully soon, exercising! I am still Primary President and love that too. Kids seem to be the theme of the day in my life. Luckily I love them and seem to get them! I guess I am just happy and well! Lots to work on, but content to be where I am and grateful for the chance to be here.
Jakie just started school on Wednesday! Thanks so much to Grandma Shumway for sending him. He loves it! He goes MWF for a few hours each day and just absorbs. His teacher is a sweet lady that thinks he is a sweetie. Jakie is signed up for soccer this year and gets to start on Wednesday. YAY! He can run off some of that energy and hopefully really love the game. Anything that combines running, playing and winning is right up his alley so I am looking forward to seeing how he will do. Jakie is growing like a weed and looks like most of the 6 year olds in his primary. He is so handsome and sweet and has truly been a joy. His big brother love for Ricky makes us smile and though he is a man handler with him at times, he is so pure in his love for his little brother. We would not change at thing about the way Jakie loves and treats Ricky. We will keep him!
That leaves little Ricky. What can I say, but that he has been a model baby. He is so squishy, so soft and so sweet. He loves to look mommy in the eyes each morning and smile, squeal, laugh at times and just play. You can see the joy that the family loving him brings. He coos and follows our eyes with his and just wants to be looked at all day. He is a little chubber and is probably in the 15lb range by now. He loves to nap, and nurse and is such a happy, beautiful boy. I knew I would love our second child, I just never could have dreamed how much. He is truly as much a joy in my life as his big brother and it feels like he has always been here. He has brought a profound happiness to his mommy and daddy's life.
Well there you go! We are just the same old Shumways. Still moving a long, still loving the family and still doing all that we can do to make it work. We miss you all and hope that you are doing wonderfully. Enjoy Fall because if you are like us here in PA, it wont last long and winter is really cold and long. Fun, but long!

3 comments:

kate said...

will ya check out those baby blues? sheesh! look out ladies. . .

katherine said...

ok, that photo of baby ricky is darling! and jake is growing so fast! glad you are well!!

Kuulei and Nick said...

Haha Lil Rick looks awesome.