Friday, August 21, 2009

Mr. Brave Stuff!

Jacob had his one year physical this last Monday and to our surprise he had to get shots. Should it have been to our surprise??? Well, no. If I had done my homework I would have realized that he needed his boosters at 4 years old. He is almost 5 in December, but with no school requiring it and the fact that we got here last summer at 3 & 1/2 and they said come back in a year..I never thought anything more about it. We took Ricky in for his 2 month appointment 3 weeks ago and he got his first shots. He took 3 right to the thighs:( Sad huh! Well, Jacob came with me to that appointment and was traumatized by Ricky crying (I had to take him in with us). He said that he did not want to get any shots anymore. I unwittingly assured him that he did not need anymore shots until he had to got to kindergarten. Why did I do this?? That is what I thought was true. Flash forward to Monday when I took Jakie in promising that he did not have to have any shots. They did a full exam (He is super healthy) and then asked me about his shot records. I gave them to them last year when I arrived, but they could not find them. So, the nurse promptly suggested that we just do all of the required 4 year shots plus a hep A that is now being offered to kids. My jaw hit the floor and I wish I had a picture of Jakie's face when he heard that. He looked at the nurse with wide eyes and his body turned toward the door (to run I think) and said, "HUH"??? He immediately looked at me and said with accusation, "you promised mommy"!! He squatted into a corner and started rocking himself so of course I went over to help him and told him that he would need them sooner or later. He was having none of it. He quoted me and my tone when I told him that he did not have to have shots today and begged me to honor that. Well, that was it. I could not force him that day. How could I? I did not want him to think that I was a liar, even if it was by accident. I asked the nurse to please let us re-schedule a walk in apt for shots and they agreed. So, after weeks of verbal preparation and warning that the shots were coming, I took Jakie in for all 4 that he needed. I was amazed at Jakie's willingness to go when I had warned him before hand and prepared him by explanation. The nurses were awesome (thank goodness) and they had all 4 done in like 5 seconds! Thanks ladies! Jakie cried for a second but stayed brave and exclaimed"hey, that wasn't that bad", when it was all over. He loved his band aids (because he was sure without them he would bleed to death) and wore them with pride. He called them his war wounds. Jake told me on the way home that he was glad that I was there. He said that I made him feel safe and he is not afraid with me by his side. Such a cutie I guess it was all just another reminder to be open with the kids and even if it is out of my way (and the second apt definitely was), it is worth it to keep your kids trust.
P.S. Stats for Jakie were 90th % for height 45 & 1/2 inches tall and 44 lbs. (90th for weight)
Stats for Ricky were 95th for weight (13lbs, 15oz ) and 26 inches long. (90th for height)

1 comment:

Joyelle said...

hey girl! here's the crockpot lady's link a dink a doo!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

get ready for some yum-o food! :) great snap "shots" love those crayon bandaids! :)