Well, it is over. The formal services for Dad have officially been completed. The services were absolutely beautiful and the attendance was astounding! Such a fitting tribute to such a wonderful man and example. I truly thought it was the perfect mix of simplicity and class. It would not have fit any other way. I am convinced that Dad was pleased with the way things were.
The viewing was surprisingly comforting and gave me a sense of closure. I have always been afraid of funerals since I have only been to one previously and had a bit of trepidation about attending a viewing. I found that my fears were quite unfounded. Seeing Dad without his spirit was such a testimate to me that the body and spirit really are separate and that human life is only a mixture of both. To see one without the other is to be un finished. I was able to know that he has moved on and that comforts me as I know just where he went. I am sure that all that attended would say that dad looked so good. So much better than he had been in the months leading up to his passing. The last time I saw him was in March and it was hard to see him so sick. It truly helped me to restore my thoughts of him in better times, rather than the ones I had of him when he was not well. I am grateful for that.
There were so many parts of the services and memories shared of dad that I wish I could share. Katie, Cam, Mom and Rick (and Jerry and Scott) did such a wonderful job. I would post their thoughts in their entirety if I could. Much of it was their memories and adoration for dad. Not everything they shared was written so it is hard to recapture their thoughts but I did want to share a part of the thoughts given. Rick took a part of a talk given by Dad last April (Easter Sunday) and wove it into his talk about Dad. I have copied much of the information and share it below. It is mostly Dad and parts of it are from Rick. This section of the talk was commenced by sharing stories about the kind of man dad was and how he helped and touched peoples lives with love and kindness. It continues in his words as follows:
As I contemplate this, I have often asked myself, “How can I follow?”, “How can I become such a man?” The task is indeed daunting.
Fortunately, Dad has provided me with the answers. Through his exemplary life, our experiences together, and the words I’d like to close with, I feel confident that I have been prepared for the remainder of my mortality. I understand what it is that I must do to truly live with him someday. I also believe that as a result of his association with all of you, you may feel some sense of the same.
The last discourse that he gave in mortality took place last Easter Sunday from this pulpit. He shared then what I referenced before – the way to a well-lived life, and the way to immortality and exaltation. Allow me to share with you a few of his words:
o “Life threw us a curve ball last September – high, fast, and inside. Stage 4 cancer…terminal at some point. What have I learned because of it? As you might imagine, [I’ve engaged in] much contemplation in the quiet hours of the night.
o Interestingly enough, I’ve been made more aware of the atonement – how it encompasses all things. I thought I knew about it before, but this [experience] has brought [to me] an increased love and appreciation for the Savior, and what he has done for all of us.
o What does that mean that the atonement encompasses all? It’s everything that we do and say.
o It includes our willingness to follow Christ as our Savior, to keep the commandments, and to go about doing good – to serve. These things have been made clearer to me through this experience.
o Go about doing good – I love that phrase. This has been made clearer because of many of you have shown how you follow the Savior – friends, family, and neighbors showing by example what it means to follow Christ. Whether it’s a loaf of fresh bread from the oven, or a phone call “just to check,” my life has changed and I am better for it.
o Christ has taken our burdens – what shall we do to repay that unplayable debt? I will tell you how…we should “always remember him.” We should have his spirit to be with us – ALWAYS. Those who tarry here have a few precious moments remaining “to prepare to meet God.” Unfinished business is our worst business. Today we have a little more time to bless others – time to be kinder, more compassionate, quicker to thank, more generous in sharing, more gracious in caring.
o These are the things that I have learned. Enjoy your family, take joy in any accomplishment, and don’t worry about the small things. The worry is not worth the cost. Find ways to show your love to your neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family. Tell them that you love them, mean it, and show it.
o I did not choose this path – I think. But I am at peace with it because I know that God is in charge, and his will be done. It has done much to deepen my love and appreciation for life, and the gifts that it presents. Go to a birthday party and enjoy it. Love and appreciate your children and grandchildren – play lizards. Enjoy the beauty around you. Know that all blessings come from God. Young men and young women – look to your fathers and mothers as examples, do it today. Be a good member of your family. Enjoy going to a game with them, a concert, or McDonald's. Look for ways to be of service – God will show you how.
Again, love those that you associate with, appreciate the small acts and the large occasions, and pray to God that you will know what to do to go about doing good. You will change lives as you do so. Mine has certainly been changed because of you.”
Rick ended his thoughts (and dads thoughts) with his love and adoration for one of the worlds "greatest men". I loved this tribute and am so glad that most of the thoughts shared Friday were echoed in Dad's very own words. He did not only preach how to love and serve, he actually did it. I hope that one day my loved ones can say the same of me. He is truly missed.
The viewing was surprisingly comforting and gave me a sense of closure. I have always been afraid of funerals since I have only been to one previously and had a bit of trepidation about attending a viewing. I found that my fears were quite unfounded. Seeing Dad without his spirit was such a testimate to me that the body and spirit really are separate and that human life is only a mixture of both. To see one without the other is to be un finished. I was able to know that he has moved on and that comforts me as I know just where he went. I am sure that all that attended would say that dad looked so good. So much better than he had been in the months leading up to his passing. The last time I saw him was in March and it was hard to see him so sick. It truly helped me to restore my thoughts of him in better times, rather than the ones I had of him when he was not well. I am grateful for that.
There were so many parts of the services and memories shared of dad that I wish I could share. Katie, Cam, Mom and Rick (and Jerry and Scott) did such a wonderful job. I would post their thoughts in their entirety if I could. Much of it was their memories and adoration for dad. Not everything they shared was written so it is hard to recapture their thoughts but I did want to share a part of the thoughts given. Rick took a part of a talk given by Dad last April (Easter Sunday) and wove it into his talk about Dad. I have copied much of the information and share it below. It is mostly Dad and parts of it are from Rick. This section of the talk was commenced by sharing stories about the kind of man dad was and how he helped and touched peoples lives with love and kindness. It continues in his words as follows:
As I contemplate this, I have often asked myself, “How can I follow?”, “How can I become such a man?” The task is indeed daunting.
Fortunately, Dad has provided me with the answers. Through his exemplary life, our experiences together, and the words I’d like to close with, I feel confident that I have been prepared for the remainder of my mortality. I understand what it is that I must do to truly live with him someday. I also believe that as a result of his association with all of you, you may feel some sense of the same.
The last discourse that he gave in mortality took place last Easter Sunday from this pulpit. He shared then what I referenced before – the way to a well-lived life, and the way to immortality and exaltation. Allow me to share with you a few of his words:
o “Life threw us a curve ball last September – high, fast, and inside. Stage 4 cancer…terminal at some point. What have I learned because of it? As you might imagine, [I’ve engaged in] much contemplation in the quiet hours of the night.
o Interestingly enough, I’ve been made more aware of the atonement – how it encompasses all things. I thought I knew about it before, but this [experience] has brought [to me] an increased love and appreciation for the Savior, and what he has done for all of us.
o What does that mean that the atonement encompasses all? It’s everything that we do and say.
o It includes our willingness to follow Christ as our Savior, to keep the commandments, and to go about doing good – to serve. These things have been made clearer to me through this experience.
o Go about doing good – I love that phrase. This has been made clearer because of many of you have shown how you follow the Savior – friends, family, and neighbors showing by example what it means to follow Christ. Whether it’s a loaf of fresh bread from the oven, or a phone call “just to check,” my life has changed and I am better for it.
o Christ has taken our burdens – what shall we do to repay that unplayable debt? I will tell you how…we should “always remember him.” We should have his spirit to be with us – ALWAYS. Those who tarry here have a few precious moments remaining “to prepare to meet God.” Unfinished business is our worst business. Today we have a little more time to bless others – time to be kinder, more compassionate, quicker to thank, more generous in sharing, more gracious in caring.
o These are the things that I have learned. Enjoy your family, take joy in any accomplishment, and don’t worry about the small things. The worry is not worth the cost. Find ways to show your love to your neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family. Tell them that you love them, mean it, and show it.
o I did not choose this path – I think. But I am at peace with it because I know that God is in charge, and his will be done. It has done much to deepen my love and appreciation for life, and the gifts that it presents. Go to a birthday party and enjoy it. Love and appreciate your children and grandchildren – play lizards. Enjoy the beauty around you. Know that all blessings come from God. Young men and young women – look to your fathers and mothers as examples, do it today. Be a good member of your family. Enjoy going to a game with them, a concert, or McDonald's. Look for ways to be of service – God will show you how.
Again, love those that you associate with, appreciate the small acts and the large occasions, and pray to God that you will know what to do to go about doing good. You will change lives as you do so. Mine has certainly been changed because of you.”
Rick ended his thoughts (and dads thoughts) with his love and adoration for one of the worlds "greatest men". I loved this tribute and am so glad that most of the thoughts shared Friday were echoed in Dad's very own words. He did not only preach how to love and serve, he actually did it. I hope that one day my loved ones can say the same of me. He is truly missed.
2 comments:
Oh, you guys, I'm so sorry for your loss! Wish I could give you hugs.
This reminds me of my own father's losing battle with cancer a few short years ago. Your father sounds like a wonderful man, much like mine was. Maybe they have found each other and can be missionary companions together in another place until we get there.
It will be hard for you in the coming months to take it all in. To think about all the things he will miss out on and to be sad for the kids who won't ever know their grandfather very well, if at all. But God does have a plan and he will let everyone have a chance to know and love those that have gone before. In fact, I'm 100% sure my dad knows my baby Sarah who was born after his death.
He will always be with you when you need him most, as will your Heavenly Father.
My love to all of you,
Lisa
beautiful and touching thoughts. thank you for sharing those impressions. hope you are both feeling comfort still.
Post a Comment