Thursday, October 9, 2008

Catching up

Gosh, It has been a while since my last post. I so wanted to be better at this and was for a while, but things have gotten pretty heavy here over the last week. There are so many things that have happened. I will go threw a few here to update: Starting with happy or light hearted news to the hard news.

1.Jacob has been wearing me out. He is definitely ready for school or something of the sort. He wants to learn to read so I will start teaching him now. He has his numbers down, colors, and is quite a critical thinker. You would not know that when he is doing swan dives off of the side of the couch into a nearby chair, but he is. I guess it goes to show that he is quite a balanced little booger. He says something brilliant and then does something insane. Somehow I identify.

2. I got my hair cut last Saturday. I loved it in the salon, hated it a day later and now love it again a week later. All in all, exactly the way my haircuts go. The length is still long, and I am still my dark color, but I got bangs and I think that they are pretty cool. I think I look international with them. Ha, don't make fun of me saying international. Maybe even Italian.. Magari (I wish)! Be kind if you disagree. I cant glue the hair back on.








3. Rick got to go back to Seattle to do recruiting at the University of Washington (His Grad School). I was jealous but I just rented tons of movies, shopped a little and played with Jacob for the 4 days that he was gone. I can always keep myself busy without Rick but I so prefer to have him with me. I miss my best friend when he is gone. He got to stay with Kevin and Steph (friends there) and see Geoff & Kim, and his buddy Kevin. I wish I could have gone to see everyone too but I could not make the trip. I would have spend the whole time talking to friends and walking on the beach! He had a ball and it made us both miss Seattle. This is Jakie sending Daddy off to Seattle:













4. Saddest News: Rick got a call while in Seattle that changed us forever. His father (mentor, leader and hero) was diagnosed with Cancer (not sure which kind yet) in an advanced stage. We are not sure about all of the major details (those will come shortly) but just the knowledge that He is not well was enough to send us to our knees. Rick has been so lucky to have a person that lead him and guided him along side his Mother. He has been a true example of what a father should be. We are all hoping for the very best and thank all friends (that know already) for their prayers and support. We have a unique situation because his father is every bit as much of a father to me. I worry for him the way that any daughter would worry for her own father. I was blessed when I got Rick and double blessed when I got Rick's family. They have been wonderful and made me feel truly Shumway!! I have a special connection with Dad and have always adored him. His motto when I dated/was engaged to/ and married Rick (all about the same time!) was "whatever Sarah wants she can have". Who could not adore that! Just kidding. I just love when I get to sit and talk about things. I always learn something from him. I am praying and having faith that I will have much more time to come. Rick and I will be flying home to Utah on the 21st of this month (Oct) to spend time with the family. We will be there together for a week or so and then Rick will return home for work, etc. I will be staying in Utah until the 19th of November to allow Jake more time with the family and Grandpa. Jakie has a gift for cheering others up and Grandpa sure loves his little Jakie boy! I am looking forward to getting to see Dad and soak up time with the family. We will keep you posted on progress, etc as I know many know Rick's Dad and have loved him when they got to know him.
Wouldn't this face make you smile!!!
5. Sad News again: Rick's Grandfather (his name sake: Richard Phil Shumway) passed away in the early morning. Rick is devastated to miss his funeral but knows that the family with know how much we miss him. He has been a wonderful influence on our lives and a bright spot in the family. Grandfather will be missed and we will rush to see Grandmother on arrival in Utah. We love her and know that she misses him dearly. I have not doubt that we know exactly where he is though. A righteous man of his caliber could go no other place. He will do for us on the other side now and I feel lucky to have known him while on the earth. I wish to be like him and I wish to make others feel loved as he has. I will have Rick blog about a few stories that I am sure will make you laugh. He was a wonderful man.

3 comments:

katherine said...

rick & sarah, i am so sorry to hear about your dad, that is rough news. he is such a sweet man, always so kind! it is good we have the gospel, but it doesn't always make things like this real easy to cope with still. have faith and take care.

Lefty said...

So sorry to hear about Rick's dad. That is a difficult thing and my heart goes out to you.

On lighter tone, I tagged you. Check out my blog to understand.

Kellybean said...

I am so sad about Rick. My heart goes out to your family and I will keep him in our prayers. Let us know if you need anything and call us when you get here we would love to see the whole Shumway family.