Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ricks New Calling

I wanted to announce to everyone that Rick was just called to a new position in our ward (Pittsburgh 2nd Ward). We got a call from the Stake President on Friday (while at Niagra Falls) asking to meet with us both that following Sunday (Oct 11th) morning before church.

Naturally, we began to think about all of the things that someone could have told about us. Just kidding!! Actually, we thought about all of the callings in the ward this could be for and narrowed it down to either Elders Quarum or Bishopric. None of the other callings would have required the Stake.

We thought about all of the possibilities and even worried for 4 seconds about Rick being called as bishop and then assured ourselves that it was not likely (to him, but I think he cold do it). We mulled it over and teased a bit and finally decided it did not matter what the calling or request would be. We would do what ever we were called to do.

We were relieved and surprised (simultaneously) when Rick was actually called to be the 1st councilor to the new Bishop. Bishop Harroldson requested that Rick be first councilor and another brother in the ward Josh Olsen (amazing guy) be the second councilor. Rick accepted and I agreed to support him in his duties. I know that With the Bishop Harroldson and Brother Olsens help, he will magnify the calling as he does with every other effort in his life!


I am so proud of Rick. What a great example of willingness to serve and what a great thing to serve the ward. I cant wait to help him grow in the calling and see how it changes him, how it changes us and how it blesses our family. He even has the right name for the calling! Get it...Bishop Rick (bishopric). He was going to tell that joke if he was called on for a testimony his first Sunday.

We will miss the Bishop and Bishopric of the past (Bishop Burnette, 1st Councilor Brother Lefler, 2nd Councilor Brother Campbell. They did a wonderful job and left big shoes to fill.
-Picture of Bishopric to come here-

2 comments:

Steve & Amy Shumway said...

Congrats & good luck!! :) He will be great!

Dr. Nick said...

So I guess Rick and I can't go out for Dr. Pepper's after work any more? PS I am coming to see you guys in December or January :)