Saturday, October 23, 2010

Palmyra, New York & The Sacred Grove

For the second time for me and I think 3rd for Rick (First for the kids) we made the trek north to Palmyra, NY. both times were mid fall and this time was every bit as beautiful as the first visit we made.



Palmyra is 4 & 1/2 hours north of us here in PA, and about 1 & 1/2 hours East of Niagara Falls, NY. We stayed the night before so it was a comfortable, early morning.

I was struck by the same peace, happiness, gratitude I felt as we once again we heard the testimonies of the Missionaries that walked us through the visitor centers, into the restored Smith home and property, and other historical sites, and finally, walked through the Sacred Grove. I loved waking through the property and seeing the colors, the trees and then in the middle, seeing the Palmyra Temple coming up out of the trees. It was so beautiful!
I also loved stood in the home that Joseph stood in as he went about his days, studied the scriptures and finally decided to ask God so that he could be given that knowledge "liberally", and "upbraided not", as he was promised in James 1: 5.


It was such an aid to my understanding to look over the artifacts that were either original to the family or perfect replica of what it would have been. Standing in that room I could really imagine Josephs mind being focused on which church to join as his family divided and chose different faiths to join. I could imagine his confusion over the scriptures being explained so differently by everyone around him. I can imagine how a boy of 14 would believe that the Lord would answer him. The simpler times I think lead to that kind of reflection that we so often miss during our day.

Walking through the grove was amazing and I don't believe I have ever felt more peace and quite! I wish I lived near by. I would go daily. I think regardless of where we live, everyone should go once. I recommend Spring and Fall. They are magnificent. I just kept thinking of the first lines of Josph's First Prayer: " Oh how lovely was the morning. Radiant beamed the sun above. Bees were humming, sweet birds singing, music ringing through the grove." It really felt that way. The beauty of the fall colors, the cool breeze, the soft, warm sun, and the woodsy smells made it all come to life for me. I loved it & the whole morning was such a great experience.
I loved being there with my husband and kids (even if Jake did wine for the entire hour that we were in the grove! Oh well, the Lord forgives us I am sure! He has kids too. He knows how it is.


My time in the grove really solidified the connection I feel Joseph Smiths account of the First Vision. I could not help but continually think to myself...." I believe, I believe". Some say it is silly to believe in God, in Religion, In a 14 year old's account of seeing God the Father and Jesus Christ, but I guess everyone has to find out for themselves. As for me.. all I can say is"I Believe". In fact, I would be better to say "I know".

Another great highlight of the trip was that we also got to enjoy a stop at the Hill Cumorah. It was a few miles from the Smith Farm and once heck of a trek! I decided that I need more cardie in my day as I huffed and puffed up that steep grade to the top where we reached a monument marking that great witness of Joseph taking the plates from the place that he had been told they would be (in vision by the angel Moroni). It was such a difficult terrain to maneuver through even with paths and walk ways. I cant imagine the difficulty it caused to get there and back to the Smith home under such scary circumstances (the physical attacks to take the plates).


The experiences of the day all made me even more grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel, the knowledge of what was done for me and the chance to stand in those places hundreds of years later. I recommend it to anyone that has the inclination, Mormon or not!

I could not help but get some pictures of the kids while in the beautiful fall colors. What can I say.... They are just cute & they smile so they are always my favorite subject to shoot! The light was way too harsh at 12pm & the kids were tired, but I think they came out cute anyway.



No comments: