MARRIED DECEMBER 27TH, 2002 (Mount Timpanogos Temple, PG, UT.)
I know that this is a late entry, but we just got home from El Paso, there was family visiting and I just could not find the time to get this all out. As usual, it is late but ever sincere.
Well, after 7 years, probably about 13 jobs between us (probably more), 2 kids, 6 years of School, 3 cities, and many other stuff along the way, I have to say....I just feel lucky! Lucky because I realize that no one can ever for see everything that will come up along the way. You and I just acted on our desire to bet together 7 years ago believing/hoping that the other one would love us back the same and that we could work things out along the way. We were naive about what hard work marriage and how much we would have to work. Some marriages that started when ours did are still going strong and some are not and sadly some are no longer. It is that fact and these following reasons that I just feel so Lucky that I found you, that you thought I was cute, wanted to marry me an that as the ever wise Beyonce sings, that "I put a ring on it"!
1. We were crazy to get engaged with such a short amount of time of courtship between us!!! ( I will kill my kids if they try to do the same!) What luck that we both felt the same desire at the same time to lock it up tight and just go for it! What Luck that your parents loved me too and consented to our union without any interference or negativity. I have always loved and admired them for that!! Guess they just felt the same confirmation that we did. What Luck that you were not crazy, weird or a closet molester! They are out there and I am so grateful that you were nothing of that sort! Just good old Rick and I feel Lucky for that.
2. I feel lucky that you have all of the things that I needed in my life and just enough of them. You are a man of Structure, Humor, Humility (when you have to be), strength and determination. Nothing that you say will get done does not end up done. Maybe the trash going out, but aside from that, you are quite on it! IT is always done right, done well and done without much complaint. Since I am not a woman of extreme patience, this is such a lucky thing!
3. I feel lucky that you are a die hard lover of the Lord, the Gospel and all things sacred. I know that I am second on the list of important things in your life and that the Lord is #1. I wanted someone that put him first because that meant that I would benefit from that as well. Cant love the lord and not love your wife right! I get to church on time (sometimes at all) because you are a stalwart and you would not miss it. My life of inactivity prior to the mission sometimes rears its ugly head and you help me to beat it back! My kids get blessings as needed from their dad and have a wonderful example of a man of God because you honor your priesthood. Many women marry men that start out that way but don't keep it up. I feel Lucky that you do and have since long before we ever met.
4. I feel lucky that I adore your family. How many marriages are stressed because families bicker incessantly. We are not without our differences at times, but the love is there. I adore them all, each and every one. They have made my life, my children's life, your life, and our lives together as a family that much richer. I knew I liked them when we all met, I knew they were wonderful when we married, but I am so grateful that they have been more than I ever could have imagined! Your similar feelings for my family have allowed us to be a full family on both sides of the Hutchins/Shumway line. Anyone that does not get a long with their in-laws would agree that I should TRULY feel lucky for that!
5. I feel lucky that you are a lover of children! Every time you play with, hold or express adoration for our children I just remind myself what a wonderful choice I made in a mate. You are such wonderful father! Our children will adore you for the time you spend loving them and I adore you for it right along with them. Thank you for making me so lucky in this way!
6. I am lucky you have a work/help others ethic. I planned to be the happy housewife, but as we went thought school, work, etc. getting it all done at home was quite a bigger chore than I anticipated. How lucky I am that you don't mind grabbing groceries, babysitting while I get stuff done, cleaning out the car, doing laundry, getting gas-oil changes, vacuuming, making dinner, getting the boys dinner, showers, putting Jakie to bed every night, ironing on Sundays, getting the boys ready to leave, etc. The list goes on! You don't complain, you don't make me feel bad, you just help where help is needed! You don't have to do them all of the time or all together but you would, and on occasion you have. I AM SO LUCKY!
7. I am so lucky that you have ambition and want to work hard. Truth be told, I would have married you if you worked at a gas station because I truly adored you, but what luck that you had higher hopes. A short year and 1/2 at UVSC and a "fun" year at Snow College did not indicate what a success you could be, but I knew you would make our life comfortable. Then by the time we were married your Pre-Med dreams surprised me. Your acceptance into BYU impressed me, your graduation from BYU thrilled me and your acceptance into University of Washington Grand Program blew me away. I just thought you were fun, handsome, and smart when we married, but how lucky that I got those qualities and a ambitious, impressive husband along with them!
8. I am lucky that we both served missions in the same country! Though we did not serve together we both knew Laura Brough and she put in a huge word for you. I was already intrigued by the time we met and pretty much knew you were the one for me on our first date. Lucky for me that you pursued it and lucky for me that we both had a friend like Laura!
9. I am convinced that no marriage can make it without forgiveness. No one is perfect and I am certainly NOT an exception. I make so many mistakes on a daily basis and mess up huge on occasion. My mistakes are often due to selfishness on my part and it can take a few minutes to realize that. You let me figure it out though. You allow me the time I need to realize when I am wrong, and you apologize when I am right. You always forgive and you always ask for forgiveness and that makes me feel free to be myself. This could be in my opinion the most important part of marriage and you are a natural at it. I feel truly blessed and lucky that you have always afforded me that!
10. Well, there are so many things more to be thankful for, but I guess I feel most lucky that you turned out to me so much more than I expected in every area. You were enough for me from day one, but as I review the years through the ups and downs that marriage can offer, you have just exceeded my highest expectations on ever issue. Sure I can nag at times, but it is more my issue than yours on most things. You have been an amazing partner. You are more than I ever imagined and have been better every year than the last. It is because you make an effort. You try, you listen and you love freely. Thank you for that. Thank you for seven years of real, solid, forgiving, happy marriage. I feel Lucky!
P.S. Here is one of our engagement photos that I love because it is us laughing. I think of all of the things that make me happy in our marriage, it is when we are laughing and enjoying each other just as we did while watching some random movie (Finding Forester?) at Kelly's house right before you asked me for my phone number (for the 3rd time). I laughed so hard and thought you were the funniest guy I had ever met. 7 years later I completely
agree with my first impressions! 
No comments:
Post a Comment