Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

Well I am a day late, but at least I have the year right..right? We just celebrated a wonderful beginning to a new year on Friday morning and then woke up to say goodbye to Ricks mom Carolyn, sister Katie, and brother Cam. What a bummer to see them go! They got to visit from Christmas Eve night until New Years Morning and it was sure great to see them. There were so many fun things that we all got to do together but my favorite was when we were all just sitting around with nothing to do. Usually with someone on the computer, someone in the kitchen, someone watching TV and me reading the book Cam got me for Christmas (Sarah Palin:Going Rogue. LOVED THE BOOK Cam! Thanks again.)

There are such vast differences in how Rick and I do things at times and it is when we visit both sides of the family that I see why. In my family we don't really set schedules. We talk about what needs to get done but never with any time limits like times to leave, orders to do things, etc. We just kinda go with the flow and if talking pushes something from the daily to do list then so be it.. there is always tomorrow, right? Great for flexibility but we often end up with too little time to get something done or under serious stress when we cant do it or find whatever it is we needed. It gets tense since my mom is a type A living in a type B world! Still, it is the way I have lived all my life.

On the other hand, there is the Shumway way. I remember being shocked at our first family vacation after we got married when Dad planned for us to head out at 3:30am to get on a 6am flight. I thought I would die. I don't even pack until 12am! Well, it was rough getting up that trip but I loved having more time once we got to the destination and was glad the day was not lost to travel alone. I have learned that when with Ricks family there is a plan, a schedule and an order. That used to be against my own nature but is quickly became something I learned to appreciate and love because it has it's benefits. I never miss a sight when we are all together and there is always time to do what is needed and wanted since we have it all in the plan. I guess what I am saying is that I love both ways of doing things. I love both sides of the family so much. Both ways with room for a little of the other has been a good balance for our home because Rick and I. We both brought our families ways of doing things into our marriage and we have both adapted and allowed for the others likes/dislikes and ways of doing things. I rarely get to stay in jammies until 2pm, get ready and head out at 5pm to do the days chores, but that is just what mommas house is for right? He rarely has everyone getting up early enough to be showered, dressed and ready to head out by 9am but that is what mommas house is for him...right? Gotta love it!

Well, we were sad to leave my family, thrilled to see Ricks family and then sad again when it was time to say goodbye to them as they headed home. Come back any time!! That goes to both sides! This Holiday season was such a treat and we love you all!

So, on to the New Year 2010! We always have resolutions but it is funny how they are the same ones I have had since I was 12: read scriptures more, pray more, eat less, work out more, spend more time having fun as a family, be kinder, smarter, etc. It has taken a few decades but I am going to cross at least 2 of those off of my list!! Since I am starting a new work out routine I think I will try for the work out more and I also need to be better on scriptures. I think I will focus on those and see where I get. I will update as things progress....If they progress! Rick I think has about the same goals. I think this year will be wonderful as he transitions into a full position (no longer a fellow) at UPMC in June and that makes this year a landmark. No more student, intern, fellow titles anymore! He will be full fledged and finally getting paid what he is worth for it! We get to pay debt with it but still, that is progress! Can't wait...(Neither can our car loan holder or our Student Loan Lenders)!

Anyway, Happy New Year to all! I am putting in a few pics below of things we did while the family was here. All shots are courtesy of Aunt Katie since I had pink eye and could not really see to shoot my camera. I'd say she did a great job of documenting though! Enjoy:

Such a happy boy!

Rick and Uncle Cam at PPG Place iceskating at the outdoor skating rink with Jacob. It was freaking cold!

Rick and I warming up inside at PPG place while checking out the gingerbread displays.

Uncle Cam. The kids just love ya!!

Ricky in his little blue monkey suit grandma Shumway gave him for Christmas. I wish all of our warm suit/jackets could have ears and paws.

Jakie after going tubing with Uncle Cam, Aunt Katie and Daddy. Mommy got pink eye and the wind hurt it so mom, baby and Grandma stayed home. It was under 20 degrees out!

Grandma Shumway and her little Ricky. Such love for babies. So fun!

Aunt Kaite makes up for lost time with little Ricky. He things she is as neat as Jakie did. Who can resist someone that wants to smile at you and give you everything you ever wanted?? I know I cant!

Katies little Guy. Between the automatic arcinal gun that Uncle Jonny Hutchins gave him (Comlete with a 30 bullet amo strap) and the toy shot gun gun he got, our house is gonna be safe! We will use it to teach gun safety! Thanks Kate!

Bath Time with Grandma. This goes back to Jakies baby traditions. Grandma and Katie always give the baths in the mornings whe we visit because babies in the bath are so much fun! Thanks mom for all of you help and love!

New Years Eve gone awry! Our cheap glass cascerole dish exploded when it was accidentally set on a burner that was on. It blew sky high, and a grease fire started. It was super mild in intensity and after about 1 minute of Rick and I talking about putting it out it was extingushed using our handy kitchen extinguisher. It was not without its funny moment though when Rick fired it backwards and almost shot his face with the powder in it! Ha. I still laugh when I think about it!

Rick and Cam did a private tour of the Stealer's facilities while we all went to this building that Pittsburgh University built to use for education. It has lots of rooms that were decorated by groups representing different countries and each has that groups unique decore and traditions inside. I think there are 26. We did a mini tour of about 10 or 12. We took Jakie and Ricky on it and Jacob lasted about 3 rooms. We sat out in the lobby area and played games until the rest was over. It was interesting though!

Strip District in Pics ABOVE AND BELOW where they sell lots of goods. We got Stealer's gear for friends, went to a great restaurant called Crystals (thanks Guy Fiero from DDD --Diners, Drive ins, and Dives for the tip). Their Sirloin Sandwich was fantastic and I loved their fries!


Look out point that everyone that visits gets to go see. Mount Washington is by far one of the best views of the city. I like a view from the Fort Pitt bridge too, but I think this one is my favorite. It was freaking freezing though so this was just one moment of about 10 seconds that we got out for. Pretty huh!

1 comment:

Bro Heber said...

Oh man... That picture of Jakey and the toy shotgun is disturbingly AWESOME!