Monday, December 27, 2010

"Stuck Like Glue" Happy 8th Anniversary!



















Today is Ricks and my 8th Anniversary! I just cant believe that it has been 8 years. Right about now I would have been doing my hair and make up listening quietly to a sound track full of love songs. I was thinking about how excited I was and marveling at my complete calmness about marrying a man I met 3 months prior! Little did I know at the time just how lucky I was actually going to be.


















Today after dropping Rick off at work I started thinking a lot about us. I remember the thrill I used to get when Rick would hold my hand. I remember how funny thought he was, how smart I thought he was and of course, how much he made me want to be better. Well, those things haven't changed. We have had to work at our marriage every day (Two bulls don't usually make it in a marriage happily) but it has been the best time of my life.

I still make so many mistakes everyday, but I guess that if anyone asked me why Rick and I have made it when so many have given up, I guess I would say these things are the factors that keep the love when life gets rough:

1. We get it all out there and then forgive one another. Hearing what is wrong is never fun, but when something makes either of us mad or sad we don't just over look it. We take the time to talk it out, argue about it when someone is not listening, thank, reward and love each other when we feel the love and keep going until we have got it all out there in the open. Things are never perfect but I can honestly say I have never been mad for more than a few hours at Rick (when I am really trying to be mad) and I think visa-versa because we just say it like it is. We work it out and move on. It really works for us and I get the bonus of knowing I wont die of a heart attack for lack of saying what I think! just kidding!

2. I have many wonderful friends & family (seriously, the best!) but Rick is truly the best friend I have and I truly believe that I am his. He is the first one I want to tell something funny to, the first one I want to comfort me when I am sad, the first one that I cant wait to see every morning and the only one I would get out of bed every morning at some UNHOLY hour to drive to work each day for most of our marriage. Okay, I would do it if some one really, really needed it, but he is definitely the only one I want to kiss on the lips!
3. Finding time to talk & laugh together. I used to think that Rick and I never got date night to talk because time is so tough and with no family near and friends a good drive away it is tough to sneak away. We have had to be creative! We talk for hours each day as I drive him in to work each morning and home each evening. It was daunting at first to drive him in rush hour twice a day until I realized that I was actually starting to look forward to our drive in and out of Pitt each day. Once awake I loved the kids sleeping as we talked over his day, my day, upcoming events, the kids quirks, etc. Then, he calls all day long for 30 seconds at a time just to say hi. When 5p hits I am on my way to get him as the kids nap and we talk the whole way home. I have come to love that time together.

4. Support is not an option! I always have a harebrained idea going, and Rick always has something he is in the midst of achieving but no matter what, we support each other! It can take bargaining, explaining, and when my idea is really nuts, it can take a little manipulation (he he). Yeah, I admitted it! In the end though, we are always on each others team. I never want him to miss out on something he really wanted and the feeling is mutual. I am so grateful for that because who wants to have to forgo everything they wanted in life! Not I!

5. I was listening to a song today: Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland and I loved the way that the words made me smile. I think it is kinda like that with Rick. Were not stuck with each other, we are stuck on each other. I think that is what a marriage bond should be. The song talks about feeling like just when you think life got in the way of the love, the other person goes and does something that makes your heart beat again. Rick is wonderful at that and I sure try!

Well, who knows what life will be like in the remaineder of our first decade but the first 8 have been wonderful. I hope that by documenting my thoughts I can look back at them when I need inspiration.

Thanks for sticking it out Rick and making it all worth the work! I know we don't have anything figured out, but as a team I just know that we can make it through with humor and some semblance of dignity. I love you so much and cant wait to see how much better we can get. Happy 8th Anniversary Rick!

No comments: