It is Dad's birthday today. Rick was up at 6am today and as I drove him to work he reminded me (along with my phone alarm, my planner and my callender) that it is Dad's birthday today. In the Shumway family it is tradition for everyone to say something to the person having the birthday. We say something funny, sweet, or just something unique to that person. I knew that Dads birthday was coming and of course, even though he is no longer here, I still think of things I would say. I would say first to him that I love him. I always felt like a part of things in the family and I loved his sweet smile telling me that I belonged. I miss his funny stories and the humor that he had. We often laugh at things and say that is dad's kind of funny. I miss his dinners that he used to spoil us with. We were grown up but any chance to spoil us he took. Especially with Jacob. I think that as I thing about him this is one of the things I miss most. His love for Jacob was inspiring at times. Dad was kind, gentle and stable for Jake and I loved that. Jacob always knew that if we were visiting and he was near Grandpa, he could get away with a little more. (I remember that feeling with my Grandpa Bratton (my moms dad). He would sneak me some candy when mom said no. He would let us throw a fit a little longer than mom would (though with him, there was nothing to cry about. He gave us anything we wanted). That is the way that Grandpa Shumway was for Jakie. I miss that for Ricky. He will not have grandpa to smile when he squawks, to laugh when Ricky plays or to read to him the same story for the 100th time. Grandma will have to do double time and fill that void for the Shumway side.
Rick and I will often say" Grandpa would have let him do that" when we realize that we have been too harsh on Jake. It reminds us to have a soft heart and be more understanding of things that maybe we are a little too stringent on. That is so often a gift to me as a mother because I make amends for times I feel I was too tough.
I miss the many lessons I learned daily with dad. We love him so much. More than he could have known! I know he is no longer here to hear it but, Happy birthday Dad! Time here does not limit you, but I know that you are near on your day as we miss you and honor you with out thoughts as you did for us each year. 
1 comment:
He was a great Man. He made me feel like part of the Shumway Family We miss him too!!!
Post a Comment