Monday, August 22, 2011

1st Day Of 1st Grade For Jacob

I thought that summers were short as a kid. Let me tell you, it is much shorter as a parent. I cant believe that school is already in session! Jacob had a slow start this morning that signified the end of the sleeping in and lazy starts of summer. I woke him up at 7:20am and it took until 7:30 to lure him into his morning shower. Some oatmeal and a bagel were offered as his fuel for the morning, but his jitters tricked him into thinking he wasn't very hungry. We had his clothes ironed, him dressed and headed out the door at 8:25am to get him to school on time. Thank heavens we made it on time!!


What a nice thing to live just a minute down the road from the school. I am always late so it would be nice to not have that extra 5 minutes of driving time to make it worse. He looked adorable walking into school, without any fear. He rounded the door and I lost it. I bawled the whole way home and watched the clock all day. I really loved having him around this summer and hate that he is now in full day school. Ricky kept me busy and distracted all afternoon but it was weird to be without my little Jakie.

Rick did his fatherly duty and prepared him with a fathers blessing that was so sweet. I love watching him do things for and with Jacob that I know he will love to remember. All summer it was fishing, doing the yard work, going to get momma a soda and a million other things. The blessing was one more way Rick could be a part of Jacobs day while he was off learning. Rick blessed him with the ability to make new friends, to be kind, to focus, and to be unafraid of new things and new people. Jake listened intently and was glad to know that Heavenly Father had that kind of confidence in him. I will remind him each day of that blessing so that he can always live up to it.

I picked up Jacob at 3:20pm and met him at his class door.  Mrs Schwenn is the name of his first grade teacher and she was just adorable.  She was Rick and Cams & Katie's baby sitter when they were babies and she was even Katie's 1st grade teacher.  She loves the Shumways and was thrilled to have Jacob in her class.  Jacob loved her enthusiasm and was excited to have her as his teacher.  I think this will be a good relationship and pray that Jacob can continue to grow and learn each day.  I definitely think that he will have a nurturing environment to do it in her class.  A funny note:  Ever read Mrs. McBloom Clean Up Your Room??  It was written with her in mind.  The author of that kids book was a parent of one of her students!  I found out because I asked her if she had ever read that book and told her she reminded me of Mrs. McBloom.  What a funny thing.  I am happy to have Jake in such a great teachers class.  Good Luck Jakie!  Momma will be there to help, but I know you can do just great.

No comments: