Friday, September 3, 2010

Jacob's First Day At School!

There were so many sad tears shed as we let our baby walk away into that big building called school without us to watch over him. We talked about it for weeks, dreaded it for months, and just as we expected it was a rough day for both Rick and I.
We decided to get his things all ready the night before and take Jacob to a special first day breakfast. Rick pushed back his meetings, got the kids ready and we headed out to Denny's for a grand slam. We ate and went over the rules with Jakie one more time.... "Raise your hands, don't hit, spit, poke, push, talk back, say yes Mam, be nice to everyone, don't pick your nose, ask for help with your belt if you go to the bathroom, don't go with any strangers, well be here to pick you up so don't ride the bus!" Most of it I am sure he would never do, but who knows right? After we were sure his belly was full, his excitement level was up and his brain was full of manners that would wow his teacher, we set off for school.


We parked, got out and walked him up to the front door where we were told we could not go any further. There was a police officer there the first day helping get kid in, the principal was out greeting the buses and teachers were everywhere so I should not have been nervous when they said he was to go to the gym to meet his teacher and hear an assembly for the first day, but I was. I watched him walk in so excited, so ready to be a big boy and both Rick and I started to tear up. I have a hard time believing I am old enough to have 2 kids, never mind that I have a 5 & 1/2 year old. It really was sad. Rick was worse off than me though. It has been weeks of tearing up for him just thinking about Jakie heading off to Kindergarten. Ha, we are probably big losers, but we just love having him home, love having him be a little red head baby and now he is a big read headed boy. We walked back to the van, loaded up Ricky in his seat and headed off to get Rick to work without Jake.

I worried about him having fun, learning and listening, but before I knew it I was headed to pick him up. He came out so excited and true to form, he had a wonderful time and did great. His teacher was a young, sweet lady named Mrs. Fazikez and she loved Jake. He raised his hand (yes!), called her mam (yes!) and listened (as much as can be expected by a little busy read head). All in all, I was happy to know he did not cry, he did not feel scared and he did not wish he was somewhere else. He was just happy to see other kids, learn something and be out for a bit. A treat from McDonald's and some kisses ended our first day (afternoon) at school and I have to say it went well.

Funny Story: Jacob said that there was a little boy named Mitchell in his class that got lots of checks next to his name for not listening, talking during the lessons, hitting, & I cant remember what else. Jake said he got in trouble all day and that at the end of the day the little boy missed out on his play time at recess. Anyway, I was on the phone with Rick telling him about Ricks day after I picked him up. As I told Rick about Mitchell he laughed and Jake said he was glad that he was not being naughty because Mitchell was going to get a call from the teacher. Rick asked him how Jacobs day was and Jakie said " I was a good boy, I don't know about Mitchell, but I sure had a good day". Silly boy. I love to hear his little thoughts come out just as he is thinking them!

2 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

Tyler went to Kindergarten this week too! Don't you wish you could keep them young forever?!?!

Miss you guys.

P.S. We moved so I'll send you our new info! Or you can find it on our blog www.themerkleys.blogspot.com

mary.katherine said...

I hate that he is old enough to go to school. It was really yesterday that I came to the hospital to hold and love and meet him for the first time. (Don't I sound like i'm a 50 year old grandma or something? Ha ha.)

I love him. A LOT! Next thing I know he'll be telling me he is going on a mission. And getting married. And having a kid. I hate it. Stop growing up little love!