Happy Groundhog Day!!!....................... Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!.......................Happy Groundhog Day!!!
Well, we sure thought so!
One of the first things we wanted to do in PA was go to see Punksatawnee Phil with Jakie. We definitely thought it was much different than it actually was. We just could not make it work last year, but this year was a go. Rick took Tuesday off and we made the 2 hour drive up to Punksatawnee on Monday night after Rick finished work. We stayed in a hotel and got up early and headed out to Gobblers Knob by 6am. Unfortunately, we missed the last shuttle up the hill and were stranded down in the town below. We were ready to make the walk 1.5 miles up a frozen hill, but were advised against it as the ceremony was about to start and the roads did not have side lanes for safe walking. We were thoroughly bummed until inspiration struck! We headed over to a bar that was open (yes, at 7am) and watched the whole ceremony on a large screen TV. I could not help but think...."Oh great, we just drove 2 hours, stayed the night and now were watching it on TV!" The thing is that as we watched we heard about how everyone is up from 3am drinking and partying on the frozen hill waiting for Phil (the groundhog) to make his appearance and prediction. Then we found out that as soon as people hear what the prediction is they start streaming down the hill to exactly where we were for a street festival and further drinking. So, seeing as how the temperature was about 10 degrees, we had kids and local law enforcement said it was a drunken festival up there w/ 15,000 people ..... I was grateful that we did not trek up the mountain the hour before only to come back down a few minutes later frozen with ticked kids. So, rather than try to get up there, we enjoyed the event from the front row at the bar that morning, tried to cheer Jake up after the 6 more weeks of winter prediction (he was really bummed), and headed out to find a decent breakfast and hot chocolate. Lilly's (a local diner) was what we found and we were able to warm up and check out what was offered in town. We wandered around town looking at local crafts, funny gag stuff they offer for the festival and played a game or two. We even got to meet one of the masters of ceremony that held Phil during the prediction. It was a cheesy thing to do, but we were together, it was fun and (above all else) Jake loved it. I am realizing that often, that is why we do things. Can't wait to do camping, and see the sites out East this summer!
Well, it was a good time had by all. I loved the kids sleeping as Rick and I drove to and from our destination as it is often a favorite time to talk, laugh and just enjoy each other. I think the road trips are my favorites and we will have to do more of them.
So, now I think I believe Phil (the ground hog), because we have had major weather since!!! Anyway, we posted pics below of our fun time. Enjoy!
Just outside of the sports bar that let us come in at 7:20am to watch it on the TV when we missed the last shuttle bus up.
This was by far Rick's favorite thing at the festival. This scruffy dude had a huge St. Bernard named "BEYONCE" wearing a Stealer's cheerleading outfit. He let everyone take pics with her and even had a news letter about her. Random! Of course Rick wanted a picture. Gas $50.00, hotel room $79.99, snacks $35.00.....St. Bernard dressed as a cheerleader...PRICELESS!
It was all random, but it was fun. We will find something else that is kitchy to do next year!
1 comment:
How fun to come upon your blog and see what a beautiful family you have. Great photography. I'm a grandma so I can appreciate the family thing and all you do with your kiddies. What beautiful children. I have eight grandbabies - one in college and thinks he's no longer a baby but I think he is. My blog is
www.barbwhitti.blogspots.com
for more about me. I want to come back to your blog on a day when I have more time to really look at the pics and read the rest. Thanks for letting it be available to other people. Blessings, Barb
Post a Comment