Saturday, July 25, 2009

For All That Knew Dad Shumway...

I am so sad to share the news of the passing of my husbands Father Richard J. Shumway (for whom my son is named). He succumbed to Cancer this afternoon (July 24th) and though gone only hours, is so truly missed by us and all that knew him. Emotions are too raw to comment on feelings and thoughts about him, his passing, and our profound sorrow at this time, but as we travel home to UT I am sure that I will have thoughts that I will want to post and share with you all.
We will be in Utah 7/25/09 -8/3/09 to be with family during this difficult time. It has seemed so wrong to be so far away when we have desired to be close with siblings and Mom & Dad Shumway as he passed. Rick is understandably heart broken and home sick but the calls from friends and family have offered sweet moments of comfort to he and I. We thank you for your support and outpouring of love.
Many of our friends are in UT. so the funeral date, time, etc. will be in the paper. I will post it here after we have it set for any friends that wish to attend his viewing or funeral (not sure yet what will be done at this point or when.). We would love to see all of those that knew dad or want to be there. We love you all! Thank you for your prayers and support.

8 comments:

katherine said...

oh. i am so sorry. he was always so nice and just such a great man. our prayers are with you to help give you the strength to get through the next few days, and the time until you can meet again. it is so good to have the plan of salvation and happiness, but it still doesn't always make quiet moments easy to cope. send my love to cam and katie and your mom too! we are thinking of you!

Steve & Amy Shumway said...

I wish we could come for the funeral, Steve is already going up in a couple weeks for a visit. We will keep your family in our prayers, he was a great uncle to us! love you lots.

Stephanie said...

We are so sorry. We know he was a great man as well. And are happy to have got to meet him in this life. We have thought about you guys much over this last year as you have been away from him. You are in our thoughts and prayers today as you grieve this loss. We love you.

Kellybean said...

I am so so sorry Rick and Sarah. Rick was such a good guy. I still remember when Linus was about a month old and we brought him over and your dad was hold him and here your dad was this big guy and this tiny baby. Your dad was so tender and so contagious. We just love you guys and are here for you in all your times of good and bad. You are in our prayers! We love you!

kate said...

hey you guys. we are so sorry and we know this must be such a hard time for you. we love you both. sarah, i saw that you called yesterday. it's late, so we'll call you tomorrow. you are in our prayers.

Lisa Merkley said...

My heart aches for you guys. I never knew him, but I knew you loved him dearly. While it doesn't make the raw emotions go away, I'm sure that he was needed in a better place to help teach the gospel to others. And don't forget that now he is cured of the cancer and he no longer has to feel the pain.

{{{HUGS}}} and {{{LOVES}}}

Melissa L. said...

I didn't know Rick's dad, obviously, but I happen to be in Utah right now and would love to support you in any way I can. Mandami un e-mail a melisma37 - at - yahoo -punto- com.

Joyelle said...

love you guys. so sorry. if we can help, let us know <3