So, Rick is pretty modest and would not tell about his fantastic opportunity he has received unless asked so I thought I would announce it to our friends and family. Rick completed his first year of the fellowship with was a rotation between all of the major Administrative departments (finance, operations, executive, etc.) He spent a few months in each area doing projects, working with executives, etc for a total of about a year and then each fellow gets to work on a 2
nd year job. They actually get to step into a varying level of leadership in the organization that allows them further experience and offers them the chance to do it for a full year as opposed to just a few months. The job opportunity depend on your contacts made, experience, and what is open when you finish the first year. It is something that is offered to them, but definitely something that the fellow can design or
negotiate with his superiors so that they get to work in areas that are of interest and hopefully will give them the experience and leadership they desire. Well, Rick has had the opportunity to work closely with many fantastically
talented executives and directors at
UPMC and was really hoping for something that would
stretch him and allow him to gain a higher level of exposure in the organization. Needless to say, that true to form for Rick, he aimed high and was a great achiever. I have been amazed at how Rick is so motivated, hard working, personable to work with and love hearing the positive feed back that is offered to him. I have to prod it out of him, but he lets me read the e mails sent to him by his superiors and they are nothing short of impressive. He will die when he reads this, but I can brag cant I. I am as invested in his
career as he is and I am not quite as modest. J/K. Well, when his second year opportunity came up it was as a administrator in the GI lab over 2 hospitals (I think. I cant remember these
titles exactly). If I got that wrong I a sorry babe. Essentially, he gets to oversee everything in that department, hire, fire, run the budget, he is currently overseeing a multimillion dollar renovation for a lab, he works
directly with a mentor leader that he really respects, he deals with the extremely
talented doctors that are quite
renowned in his department. It is very challenging but
UPMC had really given him room to work on this project and instilled full confidence/authority to him. I think it is on of the larger jobs offered to a 2
nd year fellow in the fellowship history so I am so proud of him. What I love best is that he has not only received the support of the upper administration, he is getting offers for help from every level of admin that he has worked with. Many of the directing nurses, directing doctors, and others in similar level positions are offering their expertise to him as he should need it. I just love to see him thrive in is chosen profession and love to see it fulfill him. I am constantly shocked that he is so capable (not that I ever thought otherwise) on such a professional level and feel proud to be the wife of a man that works so hard for our family and future. I have had a many rough times while here in Pittsburgh with the sickness from
pregnancy, missing family, missing the beach, missing friends, missing road signs that you can read, but I know that this was the right place to have come. I know that the lord guided us here to allow Rick the opportunities that we need to move ahead in his
career and our stability. I am grateful every day that he steps up and does all that he does. Plus, he looks great in a suit, so I love seeing him off every morning. I work hard at home, do the bills, suffer for these babies to get here, and
fill in any gaps needed as does he (rides, groceries, cleaning, calling etc) but I am so
grateful that he was willing to take on the work/financial burden on his own. We have very different approaches, but I am grateful that the goal of our home is our family, children, and our stability so that we can just enjoy
each other when we are together. Anyway, I just thought I would let you all know that he is doing just great since he will not boast or go into detail on things.
1 comment:
Way to go! We love and miss you guys.
Post a Comment