Monday, January 12, 2009

The War On Poop At Home (May Be TMI)

Well, so goes another day of potty training! I tell you, if I knew it was this hard I would have send my mother flowers long ago! Jacob is going on over a year of potty training. Part of the problem was that we let him go until 3 and then it took 3 months to get Jake to pee on the toilet. Last March was his first time and a poo poo on the potty followed in May. Then... nothing for months. He kept up the pee and did great when we kept him naked, but as soon as that diaper went on, he would just go in it. The poopie thing was tougher. He would not go even when naked with no other options. He just opted to sweat it out and hold it. Concerned about nap times and long rides I diapered him and then he would just go in the diaper. I realized about October of 08 that we were going to have to go cold turkey with the diapers but with me sick and miserable, it went on the back burner. We continued in undies until nap and bed time at which time we did diapers. He followed his usual routine of waiting until covered and doing his business then until about 1 month ago. Rick and I decided to stop buying diapers and stick him in undies all of the time. I bought a moisture proof barrier for his bed and carried around extra clothes but much to our surprise he is doing fantastic. He has a few set backs on occasion, but he sure has done great. We are going on over a week of waking up dry and getting better at recognizing when he will go #2. Today was a hoot though. I put him on the potty at least 3 times for 20 minutes a piece and he kept saying, I don't need to go yet. So, I trusted him and stripped him of his panties to make sure I did not get a surprise. Lo and behold, about 3pm Jacob started dancing around needing to go so I sent him up by himself and we had success! Thank Heavens! I am ready for him to be done. I gag every time I have to change his pants and I want him done. He gets to start pre-school (checking it out for the first time) tomorrow and he feels like a big boy. HE is such a smart boy, I have no doubt he could have done this all by 2, but I think the sequence of things, though long, has really worked for him. Such a stubborn child! (much like mommy and daddy) I guess he he just wants to do things his own way. Cant fault him on that. My motto is "You're not the boss of me". Tell me I was not destined to have a child that thinks for himself.

2 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

OOhhh..I hate potty training. I put it off with Tyler forever because I was preggers too. Finally, when my mom came to help me when Sarah was born, she started the potty training thing. Because we waited until he was a bit older than 3, he was SO READY and it happened in a week! Yay mom!

Dr. Nick said...

Hey don't worry about it I am almost 30 and still crap my pants.