Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Welcome To The World Mikey!

Today 2/5/13 at 4:15pm our 3rd little boy Michael Lee Shumway was born at the University Of Utah Hospital.  Mikey was 21.5 inches long and weighed less than any of our others at only 8.5lbs.  The hospital was prepared for a baby closer to Ricky's weight (10 lbs 9oz) but nope, Mikey came into he world with about 4 pushes and was my easiest delivery. 

I went in to the hospital at about 11:30am after my water broke at home and was in full labor within about 1 hour of being there.  I progressed quickly and was worried that they might not get my epidural placed in enough time for it to be effective.  Luckily, it was in and my labor was short.  Michael was in my arms before I knew it and I fell in love right away just as I had with his brothers.  Michael was born our Blondie baby giving us a wide variety of hair colors brown, red and blond and looks just like Jacob did to me just with lighter hair.  They all have exactly the same hair line, clicks, and coppery highlights that favor his brothers heads of hair, but Mikey wins for most hair on a baby in this family.  His locks are light and flowy and make him adorable.  Mikey sleeps most of the day and nurses every time he is awake.  he is an animal at feedings and wants to eat all day.  Ive tried every newborn baby pacifier but only one works and only occasionally.  I love nursing when he starts cooing and gulping and it makes me smile and even laugh when he is animated enough about it.  Mikey has steel blue eyes so far but I look forward to seeing their final color.  The boys are beautiful Hazel (Ricky) and green (Jake) and either of those colors would be beautiful on his little blond face.  So far, everything feels so new but so familiar about him all at the same time.  i really love it!

It has been so interesting to go through another birth after almost getting out of the diaper stage again.  Jake and Ricky are pretty self sustaining and easy to entertain.  Having a little guy that wants to be with me all day (Mikey is my clingy one) makes me have to slow down and spend more time.  Mikey is happiest when he is nursing and being held by momma.  He hates being swaddled or laid down (uh oh!).  I figure since he is our last one I can spend a little more time and enjoy each stage because I know it goes fast.  I don't want to wish it away or miss out on my 3rd babies moments that I loved with each of his brothers.  I wouldn't mind getting to sleep in my bed again though.  I had to sleep in a recliner for 1.5 months at the end of the pregnancy because my back was so miserable.  Now I sleep in the same recliner so that I can nurse and hold Mikey while he sleeps.  He hates the crib and hates the bassinet. Only my arms or sleeping right next to me in the bed seems to be okay with him.  Eventually I will have to let him cry it out and get over it but for now, I will just indulge his needs and be glad that I have my sweet boy in my arms and not inside of my belly:) 

Welcome To The World Mikey!  It wont be perfect, but you will love it.  we are here for you and cant wait to see you grow.  We are so glad that you are ours.  Daddy is sooooooo excited that you are here:)

Here are those first moments of life outside of momma:










 




3 comments:

kate said...

Oh he is so perfect! he does look tiny compared to how i remember ricky. so glad things went smoothly and that you have another sweet little shumway. miss you guys!!

Heather said...

Sarah, he is gorgeous!Congratulations! It seems like just yesterday I was snuggling Porter (who, by the way, you were right about. The first weeks in the MTC were all about "You're the best mom and I wish I had known it")so love on those boys as much as you can, you lucky mom!

Our Little Family said...

Sarah, he is so adorable! I wish you were still here so I could kiss his sweet cheeks. Miss you