Thursday, May 17, 2012

Temper Tantrums? We Dont Allow No Stinking Tantrums!

Caution!! Major naughty behavior past this point:)  The other day was one for the books!   Ricky is usually such a jovial little guy but occasionally we will have a day like we did Tuesday.  The morning was normal and Ricky & I played very nice.  We had a great breakfast followed by a show or two.  Mommy cleaned as Ricky played in his room with his toys and it was all peaceful and quiet.  Jacob was at school so Ricky was the lone kid, but he really did great as usual.  About 1pm it was time for Ricky's nap so I coaxed him into my bed and we settled in for a great snooze.  He usually will go right down without much coaxing but he fought it for about 1/2 hour this time.  Finally mommy put her foot down and he realized fighting was futile.  He cried himself to sleep but he went to sleep.  Mommy won!  The nap lasted almost 2 & 1/2 hours as I had to wake him up and load him into the car to go get Jake from school.  I am not sure what the heck happened between that bed and the car but when he woke up he did it with a vengeance!  He wined for an hour before I had had enough and sent him up to his room.  He was grumpy and groggy but he realized that a night in his room was no fun either.  He tempered himself and was allowed to come downstairs and did fine till daddy got home.  Rick pulled in and came right in to change.  He knocked off early so he could come home to play outside with the boys before he headed off for scouts.  Ricky pouted as Rick changed but when he saw that Rick wanted to go out side with him and Jacob he was excited.  His bad mood subsided and enthusiasm took its place.  I started dinner and quitely listened to my show on talk radio until the door opened and Rick came in looking frazzled.  I could hear that Ricky had started up again and Rick was looking for some help.  Aparently Ricky was loosing it because Rick was not letting him spray our garden hose at people.  I realized that Ricky was just DONE and told him to send him in.  I figured it would be what it usually is when there is bad behavior.  They come in, they wine, mommy claps her hands and looks them in they eyes.  I detail their miserable night if they do not get up immediately and punish according to their reactions.  For whatever reason today I walked over towards the door irritated at Ricky's crying but stopped cold as Rick closed the door.   I dont know what I was thinking at first but I was not in my normal take charge mode. I thik I actually realized that I had never actually seen my kids have fits like the one  Ricky was having.  Both kids have tried but I can honnestly say they have never gotten past picture one below without being picked up and taken to a room where they can whine in private.  For some reason this time  I actually started to chuckle instead.  Can you blame me?  This is what I saw in exactly the sequence I saw it.  I am so glad that my camera was right next to me because they still laugh.  Enjoy the show:

Rick had just stepped inside with Ricky and closed the door when Ricky went straight to the ground face and chest first.  The crying was rediculous!
Here he decideds to flop up and down in a worm like motion for about a minute.
Total exhaustion that over comes him and I think he may be sleeping?
Nope, the beast returns and he assumes the barking dog position and "howels" and caughs.
Here we go!  Now the tantrum really gets good.  We get the uncontrolled arching of the back and the flopping all at once. 
We are entering the high pitched portion of the show here.  He is just unconsollable.
Despair sets in here and I can only make out the words "no, no, no.  I dont want it".  "No Fair!"
This is exactly the moment that he gathers himself in to console himself and realizes that he has been being filmed the whole time.  He crouches in protest and tells me "stop it mommy".
Here I am laughing uncontrollably saying' "are you my little baby throwing a fit" in a mocking tone.

"Stop it mommy", he says.  No more pictures!
Here he screams "no more mommy!!"
Okay, I think we have reached the end of mommys rope here.   I can only take so much.  Once the snot bubbles form in the nose I am no longer interested in indulging.  Right about this exact moment I look him in the eye and tell him that if he yells again I am going to spank his rear.  He pauses one moment to think about how serious mommy is.  Realizing that I am ready to swat his rear he brings it down a notch.
I ask him if a big boy would act like this and he is immediately shamed.  I am holding in a huge laugh because it is such a samed look.
"Mommy, I am so sorry.  I will not cry and yell anymore.  I just want to be a good boy " he says.
 
He looks at me for a moment and seeing that I am un convinced I hear these words and see this face: "See mommy, I am not going to cry.  I have a good boy smile".  "Kiss Kiss"??

He had to sit in time out for an extra 5 minutes before whatever mood he was in disappeared.  I think he realized that he was going no where with his fit.  Glad I saw it through once but I can safely say it will be the last time it ever gets past picture 2.  Gotta love him for trying:) 

2 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

Hilarious!! I LOVE that you got pictures of it. I have often wanted to do that, but the camera was no where near by. Miss you guys!

Our Little Family said...

HAHAHAHA. I miss you guys