Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cam Comes To Visit/Trip To Washington D.C. & Antitum

What a Trip! Washington DC, Antitum & multiple other historic battle fields all in about 24 hours. Cam came to visit us for a week and we loved having him here. We wanted a reason to get to DC before we leave so it was perfect. Cam came in and spent a few days with us before taking his M-CAT at the University of Pittsburgh. He finished up Friday at about 2pm and we hit the road. We set out for D.C. but as we thought about it, Rick realized that Antitum is only 60 miles from D.C. so we all decided to go and see what we could. We walked the battlefields, read the monuments, hiked to the birdseye tower and generally marveled at the terrain that the great battles were faught. Rick and Cam seemed to be in their element, as I just tried to keep the kids with us (little sneaks). The kids loved running along dugouts, sitting in the wheat fields and throwing rocks they found, despite moms protests!   We hung out there for a few hours and enjoyed the mild summer air.  It was eerie to walk where so many soldiers fell.  I dont always think about how much was given for our country but this whole trip made me think about how grateful I am for the sacrifices made for us.  I cannot immagine what could have happened to this nation had we gone in any other directions.  I really enjoyed the time there.  After a few hours of poking around the fields we got on the road by about 8:00pm for D.C.  We stayed in our awesome low end acommodation about 8 miles from downtown but enjoyed a clean bed for us and the boys to sleep.  That is all we ask after a day of driving and walking:)  (SEE OUR PICS FROM ANTITUM BELOW THE DC PICS)

We woke up early on Saturday and decided to drive into the city & walked to the Washinton Memorial to meet up with a walking tour we heard about on line.  The tour was okay but we found ourselves bored and too slow paced so we decided to hit the road on our own.  We saw the whitehouse, the Washington memorial and everything else you could see in DC.  We were too early for the cherry blossoms (I hear that is an unbelievable sight) but it was still quite a beautiful city.  My favorite thing was being in the Lincoln Memorial and looking up at that amazing and huge statue of him.  I loved standing at his feet and reading the words inscribed all around.  I think it was the place I felt most inspired.  I am glad that we went and I definitely think DC is a must see for any first timer!







































































































































































































































































































No comments: