Thursday, May 19, 2011

Daddy Comes To Visit

Well, it finally happened!  Dad finally got out to come see us.  I was really excited to spend some time with him and just have fun.  Dad came over a 3 week period but spend only about 2 weeks with me at our home.  Bob & Cheryl got him for a week of that time in SC.  Jacob and Ricky loved having Grandpa around to play and do projects with.  Daddy laughed as he watched the boys keep me busy all day long.  Most nights he would ask me how I do it!  I just looked at him most times and asked him how he did it with 5 kids!  Most evenings were spent playing games (I love to kick his rear at board games and card games) and talking.  I know life is always busy but it is fun to spend time with Dad any chance I get.  I think Dad had a great time too and that makes me happy!  Rick got a kick out of dad and his funny habits.   Favorite moments we still giggle at were: 
We went out for an evening and came home to dad grilling us steaks right outside our door because it was starting to rain.  Our house smelled like the mesquite wood chips he was using for weeks:)
Dad wanted to capture every moment of our time together and photographed prolifically.  We laughed as he got shots of us taking bites of the great steaks he fixed.  Not sure what he will do with those photos, but I am glad he wanted to capture it.
Dad turned Rick onto green chilies roasted over the grill.  Anyone from TX or at least the Southwest knows it is amazing, but Rick had his first when dad fixed it.  Rick always wants roasted chilies with his steaks now.  I had been telling him for years how great they are but he finally caught on.  Thanks dad!
Dad came to church with us one Sunday and it was Ward Conference.  The ward did a broadcast of a message from the First Presidency of the church.  Everyone in the ward was really friendly and dad felt welcomed.  The message was one of repentance and faith and I was surprised to hear dads reaction after we returned home.  It had touched him and made him really want to be better.  I think it was one of the very best parts of the trip.  Dad felt that his path was clear.... re activity in the church and a path of more study and strength in the gospel.  I am glad that he felt that way after being with us.   It was special to be there for his first real changes after years of numbness.''
I really loved playing games and cutting it up with Daddy each night.  We laughed until midnight or later every night.  I kicked his rear most nights and had so much fun as we talked trash and talked about everything going on in our lives.  I look forward to more times like that in our future.
Well, we wish he were closer.  It would be fun to have more time to spend and the boys would love to have him in their daily lives.   I hope dad comes back again soon to do it all over again!  Best Highlights:




No comments: