Monday, February 6, 2012

Sick And Tired Of Being Sick And Tired!

We have been living here in South Jordan for about 6 weeks now and during that time we have had 4 bouts of sickness in our family. The first bout was right after Christmas. The whole family got a flu (despite flu shots for each of us!!!) and had about 4 days of heaving and running to the pot. We felt better long enough to celebrate the new year but quickly found ourselves feeling sick again. I started with Step first and Rick followed shortly after that. Both boys got fevers and felt terrible but never developed strep. After about a week or more of that we all seemed on the mend. I was super bummed to have Jacob come home mid January with a sniffle and sore throat that after a few days turned into a full blown cold. I followed days later with all of the classic cold symptoms and was followed by Rick and then shortly later Ricky. We all sniffled, coughed and sneezed for about a full week when Jacobs symptoms seemed to subside. Rick was coughing constantly, felt horrible and had chills for days, the rest of us seemed to be getting better. That lasted about 3 days and then...KABOOM! Everything suddenly took a turn. Rick went into the Dr. for the never ending cold/coughing and was told he had an infection that was something akin to bronchitis. I took Jacob to the Pediatrician and was told he had a respiratory virus and that he needed to rest for a few days. No meds because there were not any infected areas to treat. Well, true to form.. 3 days after that Jacob woke up crying at 1:30am saying his ears hurt. He was still coughing, had a super goopy nose and was still feverish so we got him to a clinic the next day. Diagnosis?? Major infections in both ears, in the sinuses and major congestion in the chest. We got him on antibiotics just in time for that same respiratory virus to rear its ugly head in me and Ricky. Ricky woke up one morning with a distinct "barking" cough that comes along with croup. Into the Dr. once again and off to fill the prescription for steroids for his breathing. Well, it all seemed to be about over and then I started having another fever!! ARGH! I feel like we are on the sick merry-go-round and we want off. I spent all evening in bed on Saturday night and all of Sunday trying not to cough and get fever spikes. Today is the first day that I have not felt absolutely horrible for about a week! Rick had the worst of it by far because even once he had antibiotics (super heavy ones) that subsided much of the coughing, the meds made his super sick to his stomach. He had absolutely no relief for weeks. I find it amazing that he worked and still was able to make efforts with the family feeling so bad. I cant even tell you how much I want to feel better! I just want all of us sickies to have one night that no one is sick. Cant wait! Hope it comes soon.

2 comments:

Our Little Family said...

That is awful! Hope you get better soon

Stephanie said...

No fun to be sick! Its been a bad winter for the cold/flu bugs. Hope you guys are feeling better!