July 24th marked the 2 year anniversary of Dad's passing. It is Pioneer Day here in UT, and a state holiday so everything was closed, people were celebrating and fireworks were going off all evening long. For us, it was a day to remember a remarkable man. I spent the day thinking about how much I loved my father in law. He was so kind to me. He was always so interested in anything I was doing, anything that I was interested in .. It seemed. I loved coming home and seeing him smile as little Jacob ran and played and told him about his day. I was sad to think about how he was never able to know Ricky, but sure that his love is strong for that little stinker too. I watched as Rick, Cam, Katie and Mom were a little softer to one another, all a little more aware of the raw emotion felt in the home. Jacob drew a picture for Grandpa and wrote a little note of love that we sent off on a balloon. Later that evening we headed over to the cemetery to visit Dad's grave and talk about him. It was so sweet to see Jacob leave grandpa a little lolly pop that he had thought to buy for him earlier in the day. Ricky and Jacob ran around the cemetery endlessly finding things to poke, hop off of and run to. We sat there all thinking about Dad for about an hour until the sun threatened to set. The ride home was one of intense longing for just another minute together to hear his laugh and feel his love. We miss you dad. I cant believe that it has been 2 whole years. You are not forgotten. Today was our day to honor you but you are thought of and loved every day of the year.



No comments:
Post a Comment