Monday, July 18, 2011

Its Great To Be Back Home In UT.

We are finally here! After much travel I am so glad to be somewhat settled back down. We are now living in my mother in laws basement which is not a permanent situation, but I am grateful for a place to land that is not a hotel. Mom offered up Ricks childhood bedroom and her basement as a place for us to get our bearings and get our plan together. We are so grateful for her generosity! 

We are planning to get a house but need to save for a few months while we look. We are thinking it will take about 2 months to look and get an offer accepted, but we will see how it goes. I cant wait to get a house! 9 years of living in an apartment will make you excited to see color on walls and make you excited to get a space that fits your preferences. We have gone back and forth about age and size and condition of a home we are interested in, but I think first on our list is to find something with 3 bedrooms in a nice area with parks and good schools. We are open to anything but given Ricks schedule, and my demands with the kids at home, I am thinking that turn key and no more than 5 years old is going to be the way to go. I am excited to see what we can get in our price range! We want something that is going to be a good value and we want a low mortgage so we can still pay off student loans quickly. I think that an attached Row home would be the way to go. Homes seem to be less when you go attached and the maintenance is no where near as much. I want to kind of get our feet wet with something that is great looking and possibly new. We have looked from Lehi to Bountiful when doing our searches online but the area that I like best seems to be Riverton & South Jordan. I love Sugar House & the U district areas but the homes are older with renovation needs and they are often way more expensive than we can afford. I don't want to get into a money pit with our first home!

Aside from the home search, we are probably going to have to start Jacob in the First Grade here in Provo unless we have a miracle and close within a month. Probably not though. If we don't, Jacob will attend Westridge Elementary School until we close. I cant see that going past the new year though.

Rick is back at work after a 2 week break to come to Alaska so he has much to do. He is really busy but the commute has got to be killing him! I hate driving in traffic but he is way worse. He is currently doing at least an hour North and then usually 1 & 1/2 hours home again. I think if we live in the SJ area we can cut that in 1/2. I am glad that Rick has really enjoyed his job thus far. It would be tragic to relocate and have him hate it. So far his boss says that he is very impressed with Rick and all that he is doing. There are lots of changes to be made and employees always resist change but I think Rick is the guy to get it done. Time will tell but I think this could be a long stay here in UT. Our plan is 5 years and then we will see what opportunities there are for Rick here. Rick loves his boss (Dan) and really enjoys the employees in his department. His assistant is fantastic (Betty) and he just seems happy. I have a feeling that there will be lots of opportunity for Rick anywhere he goes. He is a smarty pants:)

I think the best part of being back is being with family & friends that we left almost 5 years ago. hard to believe that we left in 06' for Seattle. We are happy to be back where the kids can play with Uncle Cam & Aunt Katie & Grandma. We sure miss all of my side of the family that we cannot be near. I wish we could all spend more time together. We are grateful to be near family once again though. The boys are in heaven with so many people to spoil them and give them attention. It is good to be back home in UT. I hope this is a stay that lasts many years.  Here are a few of the favorie scenes we have been to since home:







No comments: