Thursday, March 18, 2010

Catching Up With Us... Ever Met An Olympian?

Ever met a Gold Metal Olympian? Well, Rick did. He met a few! UPMC has a benefit night and they had the Pittsburgh Penguins serving meals at a benefit that helped some charity. I could not go so I was not too worried about the charity. Hope they made lots though! Anyway, Ricks table had Max Talbot as their waiter.They got to get autographs and mingle a bit and Rick loved it. Rick had to wait in line, but he also got to meet Sidney Crosby just days after his big upset shot in the Olympics in Vancouver, BC. Crazy huh. You can see from the pictures how excited Rick was! Rick had a great time at the benefit, at well, mingled and once again, realized how fun the perks can be. My PB&J sandwich that night did not compare, but I don't begrudge him! One day I will get to join him or go have a lobster when he goes to other great events! I love where life takes us. Never a dull moment! On that note: we are definitely staying in Pittsburgh for at least another few years as Rick was offered his current position (post fellowship this summer) at a rate we can live with so we are excited to know that our future has a longer term direction. We wish we were near our long time friends though! We miss you guys.

Well, maybe a few dull moments! I have just been up to the same old, same old. Right now my big thing is working out. I was swimming 3-4 x's per week doing 1 mile each day, but then I realized that my body was using my muscle for calories!! ARGH! Exercise science is some crazy stuff. My weight was going down, but my muscle % was going down! How does that happen? Muscle eats fat, but the body uses muscle as an easy source of energy during long cardio work outs. Swimming makes you leaner if you are eating right and using resistance training in addition. Anyway, I switched up my routine to fix the issue and am now working on that. I have mentioned it before, but my basis for the workouts and way I eat (already ate this way, just without a few of the great life long principles I now know) is the ABS Diet for Women. There are a few variations on the Diet, but the one for women is so great. I recommend checking it out if you are stuck in your workout and eating well and working out reasonably (20 min resistance 3x's a week, and cardio 20 minute intervals 0-3 x's a week) sounds like a nice change. The explanations are clear and I have seen things working already. They work so well so I am excited to jump start my workouts and get some real results that can last. I'll post good pics as I reach my goals. Can't wait to hit my goals!

Aside from that, I am just keeping the house running, keeping the kids safe and anxiously monitoring our country's political climate. I am so worried about the direction we are headed in and do what I can to aid in the conservative movement that we were founded on. I monitor it in my spare time, but worry about it frequently. I want my kids to have a great future and to be rewarded according to their efforts. I hope our country backs the principles that lead to freedom, safety and productivity. Not sure if that is going to happen without some huge efforts on the part of the people. Anyway, that is what I am up to.
Jake is doing great as well. He loves pre-school (Show & Tell days in particular), loves PBS Kids.com, loves Rick and loves to play. Jake is doing great in his last year of pre-school and his teachers love him. He is ready for kindergarten in the Fall, but loves where he is at now. After such a long winter, he is so excited for sun (we finally have some) and riding his bike each day. We hope the weather holds out! At home, he has been such a great big brother and helps mom & dad so much. We are taking him to Disney Land in the Summer and cant wait to see his sheer excitement that I know we will see. We are patiently waiting for Summer to come for other reasons: Water park play dates, vacations, Saturday get a ways with Daddy & Mom, visiting extended families, ice cream runs and ice cold sprites. Somehow they all happen more (if not only) in summer!
Ricky is growing at an incredible rate. He is for all markers and measurements the same as Jacob was. Same sitting up 6 months, same crawling 7 months & standing at 9, same teeth in the same place at the same time-we are up to 8 now- 4 top/4 bottom, same hair line -exact, same temperament-feisty/sweet, same smile -big and mischievous, same naughty little suborn streak, same pretty much everything (so far as I can remember). He is a great little baby and great little spirit thought, distinctly Ricky. He will be walking in a few weeks, I am just sure and then we will see what emerges. I love watching him develop and love loving him. He continues to grow tons, love tons and makes us smile daily.
Well, that is pretty much what we are up to. Some fun, some just daily excitement, but we are happy, healthy and love being a little family. We miss everyone and hope you are happy and healthy as well!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love the updates. Miss you guys. Sarah you are so good at working out. I wish I could be as dedicated. We will be in California the same time as you guys and are so excited! We need to make sure we get together.

Tara said...

Your boys are getting so big! I can't believe it. How fun that Ricky will be walking soon - good luck! It sounds like Rick is doing great with his job (and enjoying the perks as well). That is great. I am proud of you with the working out - you really sound motivated and I am jealous. I am just getting fatter everyday waiting for April 8 to come faster so we can find out what this baby is! We will keep you posted. Love you guys!

Lefty said...

Sarah! I'm so glad that you post consistantly. I love reading about your family. Your boys are BEAUTIFUL!! I mean...er...handsome. But truly: beautiful.

Next time you head for Utah, maybe we can meet you down there. That would be a blast. We talk about you frequently, about how much we love you and how much we miss you. Take care.