Hello everyone!
I am glad to be able to tell this adventure in good health after our 2 day 14 hour driving experience. We were planning on heading out to Utah from Seattle for Christmas holiday on the 20th or so, but as we watched the weather we realized that we could get socked in with Snow and bad weather in Oregon so we made a decision to get out while we could. We left Seattle at 12pm on Monday the 18th and drove to La Grande Oregon in fairly good weather and stopped there for the night. It was snowing lightly and flurries were reducing visability so we decided to rest and worry about it in the morning. We went out for Chinese food and got to bed early to get up and head out by 7am. Well, I think that we went to bed so early that we woke up right on time and got out by 6:50am and were on our way. We drove about 40 miles and at 7:30am we got to a city located right between two passes and there we saw flares that were taking people off into the City of Baker. The entrance back into the Canyon was closed as well, and when we got to the patrol man to ask about what happened he said that a huge accident and icy conditions were the culprits. They said delays could take from 1 hour to 1 day so with hope for the first time frame we hung out in the car and waited. After about an hour though, we realized that we could be there a while longer and went to breakfast at a truck stop overlooking the entrance onto the freeway so as to get to gettin when it was okay to travel. We hung out and had flapjacks and eggs and made conversation with the trucker folk. Rick got some good advice fromt he truckers that said a happy man and good huband is best to do as the wife says, and I had to give an Amen to his wisdom well beyon his years. We chuckled and continued in conversation about weather and 2 hours later were still sitting. We foraged a shop of tacky roadside gifts and ofcourse I bought one that I doubt I will use. About 1 hour later after telling Jakie to sit down for the 20th time, we decided to hit the local Bi-Mart and see what was shakin! We walked into a placed that looks like the love child of Wal-Mart and Rite-Aid. It was large and warehouse like, but had fun stuff. We found gifts for Cam, Dad, Mom and even katie and hit the register. When they said that they did not take AmEx, I almost lost it but managed to contain the stress and we made it out okay. I sure am glad that we got the gifts though. I think we hit Santas list right on the head. We got out of there and lo and behold, a total of 5 hours later, we could get back ont he road. The accidents were cleared and they were letting us through. We took off and hoped for the best, but got some of the scarriest conditions that we have ever gone through. Jakie slept as we hang onto the oh crap bar in the car (you paranoid drivers and passengers know what I am talking about) and prayed our way through it. Thank heaven Rick is an experienced snow/ice driver or I dont think we would have made it without an accident. I hate driving but our destination was worth it. We made it through the 50 mile stretch of Canyon in about 1 & 1/2 hours and then the weather turned for our favor. We took it 30 miles at a time thinking we might have to stop at any time (due to bad weather forecasts) and to our elation, made it all the way to Provo just a few hours ahead of the bad weather. We were very grateful for the Lord's protection as we know whe could have hit some scary times considering what the weather was like. Anyway, we are here and I think that from now on we are flying in bad weather, non negotiable!! We are excited for a wonderful Christmas and will post pictures from Nov-December after we get Christmas ones taken. We love you all and are sorry we cant all be together over the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years if we have not spoken until then.
I am glad to be able to tell this adventure in good health after our 2 day 14 hour driving experience. We were planning on heading out to Utah from Seattle for Christmas holiday on the 20th or so, but as we watched the weather we realized that we could get socked in with Snow and bad weather in Oregon so we made a decision to get out while we could. We left Seattle at 12pm on Monday the 18th and drove to La Grande Oregon in fairly good weather and stopped there for the night. It was snowing lightly and flurries were reducing visability so we decided to rest and worry about it in the morning. We went out for Chinese food and got to bed early to get up and head out by 7am. Well, I think that we went to bed so early that we woke up right on time and got out by 6:50am and were on our way. We drove about 40 miles and at 7:30am we got to a city located right between two passes and there we saw flares that were taking people off into the City of Baker. The entrance back into the Canyon was closed as well, and when we got to the patrol man to ask about what happened he said that a huge accident and icy conditions were the culprits. They said delays could take from 1 hour to 1 day so with hope for the first time frame we hung out in the car and waited. After about an hour though, we realized that we could be there a while longer and went to breakfast at a truck stop overlooking the entrance onto the freeway so as to get to gettin when it was okay to travel. We hung out and had flapjacks and eggs and made conversation with the trucker folk. Rick got some good advice fromt he truckers that said a happy man and good huband is best to do as the wife says, and I had to give an Amen to his wisdom well beyon his years. We chuckled and continued in conversation about weather and 2 hours later were still sitting. We foraged a shop of tacky roadside gifts and ofcourse I bought one that I doubt I will use. About 1 hour later after telling Jakie to sit down for the 20th time, we decided to hit the local Bi-Mart and see what was shakin! We walked into a placed that looks like the love child of Wal-Mart and Rite-Aid. It was large and warehouse like, but had fun stuff. We found gifts for Cam, Dad, Mom and even katie and hit the register. When they said that they did not take AmEx, I almost lost it but managed to contain the stress and we made it out okay. I sure am glad that we got the gifts though. I think we hit Santas list right on the head. We got out of there and lo and behold, a total of 5 hours later, we could get back ont he road. The accidents were cleared and they were letting us through. We took off and hoped for the best, but got some of the scarriest conditions that we have ever gone through. Jakie slept as we hang onto the oh crap bar in the car (you paranoid drivers and passengers know what I am talking about) and prayed our way through it. Thank heaven Rick is an experienced snow/ice driver or I dont think we would have made it without an accident. I hate driving but our destination was worth it. We made it through the 50 mile stretch of Canyon in about 1 & 1/2 hours and then the weather turned for our favor. We took it 30 miles at a time thinking we might have to stop at any time (due to bad weather forecasts) and to our elation, made it all the way to Provo just a few hours ahead of the bad weather. We were very grateful for the Lord's protection as we know whe could have hit some scary times considering what the weather was like. Anyway, we are here and I think that from now on we are flying in bad weather, non negotiable!! We are excited for a wonderful Christmas and will post pictures from Nov-December after we get Christmas ones taken. We love you all and are sorry we cant all be together over the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years if we have not spoken until then.
2 comments:
Yeah that little Linus is a handsome 'lil guy!
Sasa-
Oh my goodness! I found you! I miss you! I hope that we can stay in touch better. I have a blog too! It is http://dingerfamilyblog.blogspot.com/ :) Come and see what is up! We haven't talked forever! My e-mail is bellakendin@yahoo.com! Hope to hear from you soon!
Love you! Birchie aka Kendra
Post a Comment